Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I can be a deep thinker too...

So after a long day at school, I realized that Ammon isn't the only one who can be a deep thinker. Although my thoughts aren't as eloquent, my words aren't spelled correctly, and my grammar is atrocious, here I go...

Teaching is a long-lost skill that is often taken for granted. I am taken for granted. I'm a good teacher with lots of things to say, but the whole class hour I am constantly disciplining students who are either too under the influence to know what I'm saying or too stupid to be allowed to reproduce so they like to act out in class so they don't have to face facts. :) Yes, I have turned into a cynical teacher. Not everyone should be forced to do math... it's wasting my good talents! If only we could tell students how we really feel without the fear of legal repercussions from crazy lawyers :) and nasty parents. I wish we were back in the good ole days of hitting children when they misbehave. Parents and administrators should be on the teacher's side on every issue because teachers are the only sane adults in the classroom, and most of the time they are the only adults whatsoever. I demand respect, dang it, and I will get it from everyone before I quit teaching in a public school and spend endless days at more fulfilling jobs... private tutoring and eventually parenting...

...here's to the future! Counting down the days until Ammon's done with law school! Who's with me?

5 comments:

Sister Brown said...

after watching you briefly tutor today, I willfully admit you are a very good teacher who is talented and passionate about what you do!
Here's to good teachers who actually have to tutor due to the lack of passion and talent in the public school system from other teacher. Have they been too long in the system to care anymore?
Thanks for all you do for the youth everywhere!

Am said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Am said...

I'm with you! And I for one don't take you for granted. You are a gifted teacher (and writer as it turns out), and every student should feel lucky to have you in the classroom. (plus, you're really, really hot). Great personal essay. Even the world's best teacher couldn't instill the needed passion in some of these kids (or the needed wake-up call in these miopic parents). Turns out you can't beat it into them. So...just verbal abuse?

ps... crazy lawyers don't exist, just crazy clients with lots of money. Lawyers are simply frontmen--subject to the will of their employers (within the context of the law and the bounds of their conscience). Plus, you've got the best legal counsel right here: me. Let 'em bring it.

Megs said...

I'm with you. As a fellow math teacher I totally understand. Good luck out there.

Jana B. said...

"I believe the children are our future..."
"Isn't that a song?"
"No...wait, nooo... nope. no."
Jes, keep on keepin' on. I have always believed that teachers are underappreciated and underpaid, but whodathunk that they were completely mistreated. Just remember: spare the rod, spoil the child. or whatever. there's some archaic advice that...well...who knows. depends on the kid probably.