Sunday, January 8, 2012

Peer Pressure

1.  Emma has been wanting to bear her testimony in Sacrament Meeting for several months now after she saw her friend do it.  The rule in our ward, though, is that the kids have to do it themselves without their parents feeding them their testimony.  So, I asked the mom of Emma's friend that goes up every Fast Sunday how she get her son to do it.  She said they just practice at home.  For FHE last week, we learned about testimonies and took turns bearing our testimonies.

When the bishop stood up to bear his testimony right after the Sacrament, Emma said she wanted to go next.  I told her she had to wait for him to sit down.  Halfway through his testimony, she said she was too scared to go.  I told her that was fine...she didn't have to bear her testimony in Sacrament Meeting if she didn't want to.  Then her friend Caleb bore his testimony, and her friend Bethanie went up (even though she was too scared to bear her testimony).  I decided to bear my own testimony, and Emma said she wanted to go with me.  I had her sit up at the stand next to the Stake President (our ward is his home ward) while I went first.  After I went, she stood up at the podium.  She said, "I want to bear my testimony.  I know Jesus loves me.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."  Precious!

2.  Last week, Emma was assigned to give a talk this week in Primary.  Yes, it happened to be only her second week in Primary.  I asked Caleb's mom (who makes all her kids--no matter what age--memorize their talks) for any tips on how to make a talk age appropriate.  I asked her preschool teacher for any tips on how to specifically help Emma be successful.  After gathering lots of information, we finally designed a talk that was right for Emma.  We practiced her talk (or tried to) all week long.  I was SO nervous for her!  I didn't want her to have a bad experience since public speaking is a big deal in life.

When we got into Primary today, Emma was visibly nervous.  When it was her turn to give her talk, she jumped up, and ran to the front.  She quietly said:
"Agency is choosing.
I chose to come to earth (holding a picture of the earth).
I can choose to pray (holding a picture of someone praying).
I can choose to read my scriptures (holding a picture of someone reading their scriptures).
I can choose to be baptized (holding a picture of someone being baptized).
I can choose to be married in the temple (holding a picture of a couple in front of the temple).
I know Jesus loves me.
I love to read the scriptures.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen"
Flawless!  I was SOO proud of my little Sunbeam!  She was so proud of herself, too.  Success!!

Peer pressure works really well for Emma.  She's competitive enough that when she knows that her peers are watching, she wants to do a good job (or a better job than they did).  Hopefully that will only help her in life and not make her lose friends.  :)  Love you, Emma-bean!

P.S...Happy 1-month to my lil Miss Adele!

3 comments:

Sarah and Scott said...

cute!!

Becki said...

happy one month miss adele!
and i'm so proud of emma! bearing her testimony AND memorizing a talk! what an awesome girl!

joelle said...

Cute Jes! I am thoroughly impressed with her public speaking skills! You seem like such a good mom! And congrats on your little girl! she is adorable :)