Thursday, September 20, 2007

I once thought about writing for Rolling Stone

I have had a resurrected interest in Guster's music lately thanks to Jana, Kimball, and Ki-ki-ri. Since they attended the Guster concert in the SLC I rummaged through my iPod and noticed I only had one or two Guster songs. After my CDs got swiped a few years back, I had learned to live without that east coast, neo-hippie, subtle and swelling sound of the Guster trio. But no longer. Now I can write my legal memos to the thunder-beat of the djimbe, the cacophony of hand symbols, and the harmony of pop vocals. I'll be honest, I was in a real slump writing a paper for my legal method class, but after listening to "Barrel of a Gun," I was able to prepare some intelligent and persuasive analysis. Power of music.

On another subject... Try this experiment: pick a play list on your iPod, pick a rich and inspired piece of literature, sit down in a plush chair, and let both mediums take you on a transcendent trip. Don't worry if it's hard to concentrate on the reading. Just let the words pour over you. Let the music sink into your subconscious. It might take a few minutes to find a compromise between the rhythm of your reading and the rhythm of the music, but it will come. And when it does.... magic.

1 comment:

Jana B. said...

glad to hear you're back on the guster kick. it was a great show. hey, i'm back in blogland if you're interested in some comments.