Sunday, November 30, 2008

Skanksgiving

This year we celebrated Thanksgiving at my (Jes) parents' house. Even though we live about 20 min away, we decided to spend the nights there so we could have the real experience of a holiday. We are poor law school students, so any form of vacation is much appreciated! :)

Food was amazing (thanks to my mom and Jen). I contributed incredibly delicious gourmet jello that my mom gave me the recipe for and watched me make it so I wouldn't burn the house down in the process. I hate cooking for several reasons. One MORE reason was that when they say things like "chop" in a recipe... they don't specify the size. They need to be specific for people with analytical brains. i.e... "use an apple slicer from pampered chef to slice the apple, then chop each slice in conic sections making roughly 1/2 inch cubed pieces. it doesn't matter if the skin is in each piece, or if it is in any piece at all." That gives you a rough idea of what goes through my head when I cook.
Other than the feast, we also enjoyed Madi's show choir performances at the Phoenix Zoo Lights, and the Foothills Festival of Lights. She's the cutest 2nd alto ever! "RUDY... the red-nosed reindeer!"... "EMMA... the red-haired baby!"














Christmas at my parents' house is not complete without a little house with their amazing decorations. My mom goes completely overboard... but it makes the holiday so much more fun! The house is adorned inside and out. Complete with a light show to music in the backyard. Emma is a big fan of lights! She LOVED the Zoo Lights and the lights at the Mesa Temple. It's so fun to watch her get so excited. So sweet! Picture below is of the temples lights... not my parents' house! :) jk












Holidays also aren't complete at our house without an annual trip to the Phoenix Roadrunners hockey game (minor league). The game was awesome! We lost terribly, but there was a fight, our family was welcomed on the big screen, and I was chosen randomly to get a beautiful dozen rose bouquet. I have never won anything in my entire (almost) 24-year existence. I was completely oblivious to the fact that the Roadrunner mascot was walking down delivering flowers to Section 113 Row 9 until he was standing in front of me with a gorgeous bouquet offering it to me. I asked him what this was for, and the "cheerleaders" told me that they were for me. I looked at Ammon and he gave me a look of "who the crap is giving you flowers?". He was no help. I looked like an idiot as I took the flowers and waved to the camera like a pageant princess. Madi was just excited that our family was FINALLY on the big screen. :) This was obviously just an advertisement for a local flower shop, but THANK YOU Phoenix Flower Shops... you made my night!!















We also had a family photo shoot for our Christmas cards. We can't decide which one to pick, but here's a preview. Emma is wearing her gorgeous Christmas dress... thanks Grandma Brown!







3 comments:

Dad said...

Well I don't think a ticket to Cali and a big hotel would have offered the value as many experiences as your stated vacation did... not to mention the flowers...Dad

PHX RoadRunners said...

I wanted to thank you and your family for spending part of your Holiday weekend with the RoadRunners. I hope you all had a good time at the game. Thank you for your time and support.

Ben Weber
Vice President, Business Operations
Phoenix RoadRunners

Sister Brown said...

i love your full account of the holiday. it was fun having you stay with us. what fun the game was, also having our name in lights and seeing you and ammon react to the dozen beautiful roses given to you. of course, emma is a doll and perfect in every way. it was fun to have her around so much and see her personality come through. i love the family pics especially emma alone with her darling smile.