Thursday, May 12, 2011

Emma is...strong-willed?

You know your kid is crazy when everyone feels the need to comment on her personality, but they aren't quite sure which word to use.  Here are a few examples:

Example 1:
Mother's Day is always interesting for moms of kids who are no older than 2.  Let's be honest...it's just like every other day, but husbands are there to help out a lot more.  The sweet nursery workers tried making Mother's Day extra special.  They helped each kid fill out a paper of characteristics of their moms.  I was in nursery to watch this take place for a few minutes while I was setting up for singing time.  It was adorable!  The leaders really tried hard to make the answers sweet and special.  In the legal world, you could say that they were asking leading questions.  Here were a few of Emma's answers:

1. Leader: Emma, do you call your mom "Mommy" or "Mom"? (The paper says "My mother's name is___)
    Emma: No, I call her Daddy.  (Sadly, she really does mix us up all the time.  It makes me a little nervous!)
    Leader: Really?  Then what do you call your Daddy?
    Emma:  Mommy
    Leader:  Oh, I bet that's kinda confusing at your house then.
    Emma:  HAHAHAHA  No, it's not confusing!  (She seriously thought that was the funniest word!)

2.  Leader:  Emma, did your mom have a birthday recently?  (The paper says "My mom is ____years old)
     Emma:  Yeah, but it's my birthday next in June.
     Leader:  I know!  You'll be 3 soon.
     Emma:  No, I 18.
     Leader:  You're 18, huh?  But at your mom's birthday, did she turn 25 or 30?
     Emma:  No, my mom is 10.
     Leader:  10?  You're older than your mom?
     Emma:  Yeah!

When I went to pick Emma up from nursery, her leaders gave me her answers (and told me that their conversation with Emma was their favorite because of her "creative" answers) along with a paper with the "Hand prints" poem and her hand print on it.  Her leader then told me to take a high-heeled-shoe-shaped cookie.  I let Emma pick out which one she thought fit me best.  Emma then announced that the cookie was hers.  I said it was mine, but I would share it with her.  Emma then threw herself on the ground kicking and screaming.  Since she wouldn't let me pick her up, I dragged her out of nursery by her foot.  As I left the room, another mom who was going to pick up her child proceeded to tell me how much she loves Emma's "strong-willed" personality.

Example 2:
Emma is in a playgroup of 6 kids.  We take turns having it at our houses.  When I dropped Emma off, a mother said that she" loves to see the outfits Emma comes up with".  Yes, Emma was wearing a short-sleeved dress and sandals when it was no warmer than 50 degrees outside.  When we left the house, she had on pants, a coat, socks, and shoes.  By the time I got her out of her car seat, she had shimmied out of her layers and put on the sandals that were in the back of the car.  When I went to pick Emma up, another mom told me how independent Emma was, how she was such a leader, and how she loved her "fun" personality.  While she was telling me this, Emma was running around screaming, hiding under tables, and jumping on the couch.  Mothers of the kids who were following Emma kept chasing them and trying to get them to calm down.  Proud mom moment.

Example 3:
Yesterday, Emma and I had a "Stubborn Duel".  She had woken up several times in the night complaining of a stomach ache.  She didn't seem like she was going to throw up, although she kept saying she was going to.  I kept offering her food, but she refused.  The next morning she pooped...a lot...then said that her tummy hurt again.  I figured she was finally hungry.  I sat her at the table and told her she could only get down if she took one bite of cereal.  I knew that if she took a bite, she would either down the rest, or finally throw up.  She sat at the table for TWO HOURS crying the whole time.  She finally took a bite, and downed 2 bowls of cereal.

To say that Emma is stubborn is an understatement.  To say that I am more stubborn is obvious.  Naturally, our personalities don't mix.  I feel like I'm the mother of a teenager.  I'm hoping that her personality will keep her on the straight and narrow.  However, if she happens to choose the other path, we're in BIG trouble!  It's instances like these that make me grateful we don't have another child.  The Lord clearly knows that Emma needs a little more one-on-one attention than most kids her age.  :)

A little hike in Sedona.

5 comments:

Geoff and Bets said...

wow! i cant believe how similar emma and garrett are. i've had lots of those "proud mom" moments. and i too like to think this "strong-willed" perosnality will keep him on the straight and narrow. nice to know we arent alone. thanks!

AlliSMiles said...

whew. you've got your hands full! i love her, though. love.

Tim and Jennifer said...

Kyle does a little better now, but this sounds oddly familiar...

Good luck!

Rob and Alexa said...

I love this post. Caleb is also a very spirited kid. hehe and since it is taking Rob and I forever to have #2 I keep telling myself that Heavenly Father must know what he is doing. Caleb must need more one on one time with mommy and daddy. My grandma told me she doesn't know what I am going to do when I finally have #2. So funny. Emma is a beautiful little girl. I bet it gets interesting trying to stay one step ahead of her.
Thanks for sharing.

Dad said...

Jes, did you carry her on the whole hike or let those little legs do some of the heavy lifting?