Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Broadway Baby

Ammon and I agreed from the moment we found out Emma was going to be a girl, that we want to expose her to both dance/girly activities and sports/not-as-girly activities and then let her pick which one she likes best.  When I was down in the valley for about a month in April doing the Easter Pageant, I put Emma in a dance class at my sister's studio because:

A)  I was going to be doing a lot with the Easter Pageant, and wanted Emma to have something for her
2)  Madi dances there, and the owner is a good friend who called me to work on the Easter Pageant
Lastly)  It was free because of the above

Naturally, Emma was terrible in class.  The teacher would try to get her to do something, but she would just do her own thing the entire time.  She was terrible at following and mimicking.  She would frequently say "No, I do this!" when the teacher told her to do something.  She didn't really love it while she was there, but it was all she could talk about when she wasn't.  Then, the inevitable happened.  Costumes for recital arrived, and Emma had to have one.  Umm...no!  She's a little young.

Then, my dance class that I teach in Flagstaff had their recital and Emma was SOO upset the entire time that she wasn't able to be in it.  She wanted her chance to dance for everyone.

Fine.  Might as well get a costume, and let her be in the recital with Aunt Mads, right?  Plus...Emma would be dancing to "Broadway Baby", the very first dance that Madi did.  Ugh, I'm a sucker for nostalgia!

So, we drove down for the recital to watch Madi dance, and decided we might as well let Emma have her shot on stage.  Let's be real...2-year-olds don't really need practice.  They don't memorize the dances anyways.  During dress rehearsal, I was a complete disaster!  I get terribly nervous for other people.  I really don't like it when people have a bad experience and are scarred for life.  To this day, I still am nervous for Madi...especially because she had to sing (yes, she was mic'd) and dance this year during the opening number (naturally, she was awesome).  As for Emma's performance, I just wanted three things to NOT happen:

First)  Emma peeing her pants on stage
B)  Emma crying hysterically and running off stage
3)  Emma throwing up

Luckily, all she did was just sit there on her little bench.  PHEW!  So, I was feeling much better.  After dress rehearsal, I asked Emma why she didn't dance.  She said that it was because I told her to watch Miss Maryanna.  I'm retarded.  She did exactly that.

The next day was recital, and I was excited to get this stupid thing over with.  (Note to self: don't let her do this again...for my sake!)  On the way to the recital, Emma kept telling me that she didn't want to go on stage. I felt so bad!  What do I do?  Once we got there and got her dressed, I told her that if she got on stage and danced (in any way she wanted), then she could have the princess balloon she picked out (she didn't like the flower I got her).  She agreed.

After the recital, she definitely got her balloon.  She did exactly what she was told: she danced in any way she wanted.  Was it the choreography?  Nope.  Was is close?  Sometimes.  Was she so proud of herself? Absolutely!  I went backstage after her dance to take her potty (she may or may not have been dancing because she had to go).  She told me that she was a good listener and that she did a great job!  I was SOOO excited that she had a good experience!  Mission accomplished!

Madi only had a few numbers in the show that Emma was in (her main recital show was the following night), but made it a point to pick Emma up during Finale so Emma didn't feel so lost.  Madi danced with Emma and pointed us out in the crowd, and Emma waved and blew a kiss.  She was probably completely relieved to be done!  Thanks, Mads for helping your non-dancing niece feel more at home!

On our way back to my parents house from the recital, Emma told me that Madi is her sister, not mine.  Tender moment!  I can't wait to watch the video...especially the Finale!  *tear*

Guess we can check dance off the list of activities Emma will be doing...phew!  Up next: soccer, rock climbing, swimming, singing, and piano!  Hopefully watching Emma do those won't send my blood pressure through the roof!

This is the pose she did for recital pictures.  Whenever she has this costume on, she shows off her pose!  :)

5 comments:

The Bergeson Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Bergeson Family said...

Sorry about the previous post - I posted before I wanted..
Anyway

Love the pic! I laughed out loud about the throwing up part! We both know what THAT feels like! haha!

BROWNS. said...

this is soooo super cute! miss emma so much! <3 ya guys!

Jeff said...

ha ha that is too cute. I love that she followed your instructions, exactly. "Watch" her. That's great. Glad you both survived.

Jeff said...

Jes. Totally just realized I'm logged in as Jeff. This is Brie. :)