Saturday, October 1, 2011

Like mother, like daughter

So I just blogged about how I have to learn things the hard way. Emma (even though she doesn't really learn from her mistakes) also has to do everything the hard way.

2 months ago, she shoved 2 little hair clips for her little princess doll in her nose. Yes, 2 in one nostril. We got the first one out at home using tweezers. We couldn't reach the second. She went to urgent care. After several attempts at tweezers and other medical equipment, the final solution was to have Ammon plug the open nostril and blow into her mouth. Luckily, it came out (with a lot of blood). She was completely traumatized. For weeks, we went over and over how we don't put things into our nose, mouth, or ears.

Tonight, while Ammon was at Priesthood session, we were video-playing with Gramma. Emma was playing with similar doll toys (which say 3+ on the box). I saw her put something in her mouth out of the corner of my eye. I told her not to put toys in her mouth. She looks at me, gags, then starts crying and points in her mouth. SERIOUSLY, CHILD?

Calmly (which is so unlike me), I try the heimlich (she's breathing fine, so that doesn't work), I try sticking my finger down her throat to gag her several times to induce vomiting. Nothing works. So, I just gave her some water and held her while she whines as it goes down. We talk about how we don't put anything in our mouths. She's embarrassed and sorry. Lesson learned, right?

NOPE! 3 minutes later, she walks up to me and spits the exact same type of toy out on my lap (the picture is a toy similar to the one in her stomach...the nickel is for size reference).

THAT'S IT! All 3+ toys are going in the trash! My 3-year-old is only allowed to have 1+ toys from now on!

There's a reason the Lord hasn't trusted me with 2 yet...lesson learned!


3 comments:

AlliSMiles said...

Oh, man. I thought my patience was being tested already. I've only just begun!

Silly little Emma. Don't you wish they understood that we weren't depriving them of something to punish them, but to protect them? Argh.

Thinking of you often!! Love you!

Sister Brown said...

Ok...you stayed calm and I didn't! I can't take that kind of drama and be over 2 hours away from you! :) I love her to pieces even though she puts things where she shouldn't.

Hang in there. The next girl will be nothing like Emma. That's to keep us humble thinking we have the parent thing down.

Love you all!

meredith said...

i shoved a tart n tiny up my nose as a kid. Lesson learned.

Glad she is ok!