Sunday, October 9, 2011

Overcoming Hatred

I hate Halloween.  Got it from my mom.  I hate it so much that it doesn't count as a holiday in my book.  I didn't realize how much it would affect Emma until she came home from her friend's house and wondered where our Halloween decorations were and asked what she was going to be for Halloween.  Seriously?  I was tempted to tell her how lame of a holiday it really was.  But, I refrained.  Instead, I told her that we haven't put Halloween decorations up yet (and aren't planning on it), but we'll do it sometime soon (because you'll also forget all about it soon).  I then convinced her that she can be Rapunzel for Halloween (since she already had the dress).  She'd forget about Halloween soon enough.

Wrong.

We were at the library when Emma brought me a book about Halloween. I read it to her and she was fascinated.  "What's a jack-o-lantern?"  "Look, other kids dress up too!"  "Hey mom, what's that white thing with the frowny face?"

I was then forced to realize that Emma has yet one more thing in common with Ammon: Ammon likes Halloween.

Fine.

When we got home from the library, we pulled out our construction paper, and Emma helped me glue together reminders of what I don't like about Halloween.  We put these reminders all over the house.

Emma loved it.

Next up?  Paying too much for a vegetable that will not be eaten just so we can enjoy another ridiculous tradition for the worst holiday ever.  BUT, it's super cute to see Emma so happy and excited about something, so I'll put my Halloween issues aside to appease my two Halloween monsters.


4 comments:

Sister Brown said...

Have you forgotten our Halloween decorations growing up? Not that I have them out yet. I decorated the porch and the family room. So get decorating! :) Kitchen table also had a table cloth. It may not be my favorite holiday but I did decorate for it for your sake. Ok, I'm done defending myself. love you!

Unknown said...

All I can say coming from the other end of the spectrum is...A holiday centered around candy can't be ALL bad.

It's creepy and dark, true. But, it is so fun...everywhere you go people handing out candy :)

Ps. You're the first person I've ever known not to like the H-holiday.

Dad said...

I hope this vent let you overcome your hatred of Halloween. Now get ready .... Trick or Treat

Dad

BROWNS. said...

hahahahaha u crack me up! Yayyy Emma, I love halloween too! But not the scary Halloween stuff, all my decorations are the cutesy ones :) Love you Barkers!